Thursday, April 21, 2011

Everything smells like vinegar.

As promised, I'm here to share an update regarding my Apple Cider Vinegar Challenge. (Daa da-da daaa!)

After a bit of research, and a very popular Facebook status and Twitter ask, I found that apple cider vinegar really does seem to be the miracle liquid as long as the personal testimonies hold true. I have discovered that ACV can be used to:

- condition your hair
- kill warts
- treat acid reflux
- remove toxins from your body after a massage
- help a sick gallbladder
- remove ringworm and other rashes on pets
- fix urinary tract infections
- clear blemishes and facial redness when used as an astringent
- calm sore throats
- even help cure cancer!

I was in shock when I found out how powerful apple cider vinegar really is. Turns out, you need to make sure your ACV is raw and organic for it to work it's "magic," so I made sure to buy the Bragg brand everyone talks about. Some of the uses are topical and some are ingested, so depending on your ailment, you can find recipes and measurements online regarding how much you should dilute the acid before ingesting it or applying it to your skin/scalp/etc.

I'm trying two remedies. I'm using ACV as an astringent every night, and I'm also playing around with an acid reflux killing drink. Since I'm still learning, I'm doing a lot of research and beginning by using very diluted mixtures. I have been keeping up-to-date with all my mixtures, and frequency of use in my trusty Moleskine planner that had been going unused for awhile. How scientific of me, right?


In the morning, I've been adding two tablespoons of the vinegar to 8 ounces or hot water. I also add a squirt of honey and a good bit of freshly chopped ginger to help with the taste, plus the ginger is an added acid reflux relief. It's sort of yummy, actually. What isn't yummy though is adding a tablespoon of ACV to water and not adding anything else. Especially if the water's cold... you just feel like you're drinking sweat. So that's a little tougher. During work today I mixed a teaspoon of vinegar into the water I drink out of this huge tumbler I have, and it was slightly more bearable. Still a little dirty tasting though. 


There are a few warnings when it comes to this stuff too. So, please please please read over these websites I found, and then I encourage you to do your own research as well before you start using this age-old home remedy. (Read up: one, two, three, four.)

And, as if I don't have enough vinegar in my life as is, I spent the evening with our interns dyeing easter eggs! I LOVE coloring eggs so much. They were so hospitable, and we laughed a lot while we got all snazzy with some hard boiled eggs.




(Why yes, all of my eggs had cat faces on them.)





Off to bed for me. Tomorrow I plan on making a coffee run for some coworkers (so I can live vicariously through them) before I head in, so I need some sleep!

In the next day or so I'll post a batch of photos I had developed at CVS earlier tonight. They're pretty cute and I'm excited to share some with you soon.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment