Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fringe garland!

I'm so excited to share this post with you. I've had the best day, and I'll be dreaming more sweetly than ever tonight because I made a brand new fringe garland for my room.


A backstory:
I've been hooked on Confetti System ever since Harbor and I saw Beach House open for Vampire Weekend last fall. The set design was insanely gorgeous, and I was thrilled to discover that this talented duo had created the gorgeous, geometric, illuminated pieces that helped make the show one of the best live music experiences of my life. I was somewhat familiar with these genius artists prior to that show, but afterward, I was obsessed. Shortly after, I saw little pieces of their artwork popping up online, including darling little paper fringe pieces on my favorite blog.

So after I saw Elsie's closet make-over on Instagram the other week, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands and add a little sparkle to my closet too. I took some step-by-step photos along the way, in case you'd like to add a sweet little fringe garland somewhere special.



This project is super simple. Ribbon, tissue paper, a piece of cardstock, scissors, and glue. If you'd like, you can use other lightweight papers like newspaper, or paper grocery bags too. We used a stack of free school newspapers because we couldn't track down any peach-colored paper, and I didn't want to spend a bundle on this project. Today all I purchased was the gold tissue paper and glue. My speckled paper was from an Anthropologie gift (years ago). 

Just measure out a piece of ribbon, yarn, rope or fabric and tape it somewhere so your cat can't demolish it while you work. (Hence my awkward kitchen background.) Decide how large you'd like your cute fringe flags to be, cut out a template from your cardstock, and then go to town. 


I used four sheets of tissue paper per flag. You just line the top edge with glue, stack your papers, and fringe 'em! Michelle and I used this prototype to see how the garland would look. After we glued and snipped the first flag, we made a little assembly line to complete the rest. 


Michelle braved the afternoon heat to paint all of our peach squares on newsprint. After these were cut out and had dried, I crinkled them with my hands to loosen the paper a bit.


Arrange and rearrange until you've got the pattern you like. Then I recommend affixing the flags to the ribbon with a bit of glue so you can transport it easily.


Sew across the strip of fabric or ribbon to reinforce.


And, viola! Your gorgeous little fringe garland is ready to spruce up any area you'd like. Originally, this garland was designed for my closet space, but I won't show you a photo of that until it's organized. Plus, I think I'll keep it above my head for a few weeks while Linds and I work on the instillation that will go above my bed. Anyway, I think this project would be the sweetest for a wedding or bridal shower. Super pretty and cute. And, I love the sound the paper makes when it catches a breeze. 



I've still got a few other projects in the works. Michelle, Lindsey and Jaclyn made today a very crafty, girly day and it was heaven. I really am looking forward to the time I'll get to give you all a virtual apartment tour... I'm nesting like nobody's business.

Sweet dreams!
K

3 comments:

  1. this is so cute! and it's so exciting to decorate a new apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those! I've seen similar things around the internet before but didn't realize they'd be so simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garland & Gold! You're sooo FSU. =)

    ReplyDelete